Thursday, December 4, 2008

Creative Nonfiction

While driving to Idaho a few weeks ago, Mike says to me, "Stephanie, if you want to write a book, write a book. Just do it."
Okay. I'll just do it. The problem is I have to make up characters and they have to do something. I'm not very good at this. I love writing, but I don't love trying to imagine imaginary people. I'd rather take the characters and events in my life and write about them. They are so dang interesting, and so real.

Here are my most creative ideas for a book:
A book about a runner
A book about a girl with two kids and a good husband.
A book about hmmmm. That's the extent of my life and thus the extent of my story ideas. I imagine trying to send these ideas in a query letter. "Dear kind agent, this is a book about a runner. She runs and she's never been kissed. It's very humorous actually. You'll laugh. You'll cry. You'll laugh some more, and then the book will be over."
I tried to explain my handicap to Mike. "Well, I just don't know what to write about. I like writing about people I know, but I don't want to offend them. And they have to do something. What if I write about a woman with two kids and a husband? I'd have to use you for the model."
"Well, would it be a husband that she despises and hates and wishes she'd never met?"
"No. But what if I killed you off and then talked about how she gets through her grief?"
So do you have any ideas?

2 comments:

Melanie Jacobson said...

Because I write chick lit, story ideas aren't that hard. But the best ones actually come from my husband, which is hilarious. But I guess my suggestion is to brainstorm. Through down every idea you can think of, and see which ones you still think about later. That's how I shop for shoes, anyway!

Sherrie said...

Oh man! You should write a book. I love your writing! Bummer about not wanting to kill us all off and whatnot. If you really need to, you can kill me. Go ahead, I dare you.